This report provides updated information on Washington's teacher workforce prior to the economic downturn that began in the fall of 2008. It includes trend data collected over the last ten years, as well as new findings which reflect new analyses of existing state data. Some key findings include:
- The proportion of teachers of color has not increased.
- More Washington teachers serve students from racial and ethnic minority groups.
- Beginning teachers represent a small portion of the workforce.
- Statewide teacher retention and mobility rates are stable over time.
- Individual districts vary considerably in their retention and mobility rates.
- Novice and beginning teachers have higher rates of mobility but these statistics are stable over time.
Date Published: November, 2009